Thursday, June 30, 2011

I Buy Picture Books For Myself....

But then I give them to my niece and nephews because I figure they might like them too. Mo Willems’ Elephant and Piggie is currently my favorite series and the last time I walked through the picture book section of a book store and noticed a E & P book I hadn't read before, I got ridiculously excited.


I'm sure this book will make its way onto the list of the greatest meta-fictive work of our age.


But I mean, hello! Gerald and Piggie are awesome! Look at his little glasses! And you’ve got to love her confidence.



The illustrations in the books are so simple and stripped-down that they really prove the old adage: less is more. More room for funny that is! (Okay, forgive me for that last sentence and I’ll forgive you for that... thing. You know what I’m talking about.)


Oh, and just as a side note, last summer I read Willem's Leonardo the Terrible Monster to my nephew so many times that I could probably still recite that entire book from memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment